While I was watching President Hinckley's funeral today, I couldn't help but think of my dad. It wasn't long ago that we were paying tribute in the same kind of loving way as they did today for President Hinckley. Not only was he a prophet, but also a dad, grandpa, great grandpa, and friend. Some of the things that were said reminded me of my dad's funeral. President Monson quoted a talk from President Hinckley regarding having daughters.
"As a father, do I love my daughters less than I love my sons? No. If I am guilty of any imbalance, it is in favor of my girls. I have said that when a man gets old he had better have daughters about him. They are so kind and good and thoughtful. I think I can say that my sons are able and wise. My daughters are clever and kind. And “my cup runneth over” (Ps. 23:5) because of this." Gordon B. Hinckley, “The Women in Our Lives,” Liahona, Nov 2004, 82–85
I cried as I thought that my dad would feel the same way. I know he appreciated all the ways Lenay and I cared for him at the end. We had to help him with his basic activities of daily living.
I remember after his last surgery he was recuperating at my house. I was busy helping him get in the shower. I was on auto pilot nurse mode. I didn't think much of it. After he got out, I helped him wash some of the areas he couldn't reach, which was no big deal to me, I had done it hundreds of times before while working in the hospital. I was busy cleaning him when I noticed his body starting to heave. I looked up and he was sobbing. I think he just felt so out of control of his life and so mad that he couldn't even wash his own backside. After that he just wanted to be alone for a while. He went to his room and alone he cried and cried. That was really the only time throughout his whole illness that I ever saw a tiny glimpse of him feeling sorry for himself. The other times he sobbed was because he worried about mom and all of us and how we would be so sad without him.
February 2, 2008
President Hinckley's Funeral
Posted by Lori Ashton at 4:54 PM