January 11, 2009

Jesus Wept

Today in Sunday School (we have the greatest teacher) we learned about the attributes of the Savior. The main point of the lesson was the fact that we need to learn about His attributes so that we can be like Him someday. Of course, the lesson quoted all my favorite scriptures about Christ and the Spirit was so strong.

Yesterday, I got a strange phone call on my cell. It was my principal, which is totally out of the ordinary for her to be calling me at all. She wanted to let me know that we had had a tragedy in our Meridian family. One of our coworkers and her two sons (students of our school) were involved in a fatal car accident. The two boys were killed at the scene and the mother had life-threatening injuries and was in the hospital. I hung up the phone, numb. It's funny how our minds don't register everything at once and we just take things in as we can handle it. We went about the rest of our day with it going over in my mind, somehow making sense of it all and letting the reality sink in. I was wondering how I could help, what I could say to my coworkers or the family to help give them the comfort that only the gospel can bring at a time like this.

Then today at church, during this wonderful Sunday School lesson, an attribute of the Savior penetrated deeply into my heart. When Jesus came to Mary and Martha after Lazarus had died, he wept. He didn't reassure them saying, "Hey, I can fix this" or "It's going to be okay." He just wept. All at once, I realized that it was okay if I just weep. I didn't need to fix it, I didn't need to let them in on the wonderful message of the plan of salvation. It was okay if I just wept. And I did.

1 comments:

Marcie Ashton said...

I love your posts about the gospel. You are such a good writer. You have a wonderful ability to apply gospel principals to your experiences. I appreciate your thoughts.