My sister-in-law, bless her heart, left me a comment that made me decide to clarify the "bird" and "broken wing act" story. I had to laugh as she was expecting something other than "it just wears us out" at the end of my story.
Now, let me explain. I am on my third teenager/adult child about to leave my home (sooner than later I hope). I have had lots of practice at the old "broken wing act." I've done the act several ways. I've tried to distract the predator. I've tried to distract the baby bird. I've tried to distract myself. I have been the martyr. I have been the enabler. I have been the hardball. I've tried every act known to birds!! I finally realized that the only thing that helped those baby birds was what I did before the predator came, before there was a threat of danger.
I realized that watching those baby birds dart in and out of the road just brought me near heart attack episodes and a trip to the coo coo farm. All the "broken wing act" did was wear me out.
I've realized that my time to teach is over and the best thing I can do for them now is to get off the road doing the old "broken wing" act and let them see me fly.
May 19, 2010
Clarification
Posted by Lori Ashton at 8:15 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Whoohooo! I figured that was what you meant. But it still makes me giggle. Mostly because I'm right there with you these days. I'm tired of being the matyr. I'm just worn out! I so so so love the idea of letting them see you "fly". In the end, I guess they have to see the benefits of soaring in the sky rather than wandering down the road. Are we going to live through raising kids!?!
Post a Comment