Previously (here) I quoted a scripture from Doctrine and Covenants 123:16-17, “You know….that a very large ship is benefited very much by a very small helm in the time of a storm, by being kept workways with the wind and the waves. Therefore….let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God…”
I have pondered again and again on this scripture. I have been thinking of the phrase, "do all things that lie in our power." The only thing, truly, that lies in my power is the power over myself. I can only control my own self, sanctification of sorts. Sanctification comes from obedience. Putting aside or sacrificing my own sins. Sacrificing to keep the commandments.
I know that only through sanctifying myself, I will have the Holy Ghost with me. The Holy Ghost baptizes by fire, which is hot!! The Holy Ghost is the sanctifier! This sanctification process isn't going to be easy! But it is only after sanctification (doing all things that lie in our power) that, only then, we may stand still to see the salvation of God.
The Savior, He who was without sin and obedient in every way, said to the Father, "And for their sakes I asanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified." (John 17:19). The Savior teaches us that only when we sanctify ourselves, can we sanctify (or redeem) others.
Does this mean that parents have the right and obligation to sanctify themselves in order to save their children? The scripture (John 15:13) states, "Greater alove hath no man than this, that a man lay down his blife for his cfriends." Or maybe it means, greater love hath no mother than this, that she lay down her life (sacrifice sins, sacrifice the temporal things in life) for her children.
Our effort to obey is ALWAYS worth the sacrifice.

1 comments:
Wow, that's beautiful, Lori. What wonderful inspiration and insights you've been given. I'm going to have to read that all again--it's what I needed to read today. Thank you so much for sharing.
Post a Comment