This is a picture of my son, Brock (left) and my dad's brother, Ronald Scott Ballard (right). The resemblance is uncanny to me. Oftentimes, when Brock was little, I wondered if my dad looked at him, played with him and held him while thinking of his own little brother. Ronald died when he was nine years old (my dad at the time was approximately 23). A victim of a tragic hay wagon accident. My dad carried that grief around with him for so many, many years. Now as I look back, I can't help but wonder, what are our ancestors seeing when they look down on our lives. Are they proud of their descendants? Do they look at us and sorrow because we waste our lives with distractions? I often wonder what my dad felt and saw when he looked into the eyes of my young son.
They both have a cowlick on the right side of their hairline. Their eyes look the same, although hard to see in this picture, Brock's eyes are a lighter brown, like Ronnie's. Their face shape is similar. Their noses are slightly different and their lips could be similar except for the fact that Ronnie looks like he is saying, "Cheese" or something. They both have that hair the sticks up. I had to use lots of hairspray to get Brock's hair to lie down in the top picture.
I know that someday, we will be surprised at how strong the bonds and ties are between us and our ancestors. I believe that Ronnie has lots to do with Brock....somehow.


0 comments:
Post a Comment