I recently went to South Dakota to help Brock move. As I walked around the empty house and saw the little beds, blankets, and toys as if someone were coming right back to use them, my heart sank. The loneliness was almost palpable. I called Wyatt and cried.
The next few days were filled with long hours of packing, lifting, and cleaning. I enjoyed Brock's company, but for many hours we worked in silence, the heaviness filling the void. We would take breaks and run errands or make a quick trip to Walmart for packing tape and boxes. We tried to keep our spirits up, but our hearts were filled with sadness.
As I got on the plane to go home, the airplane sat on the tarmac for a little while. As I watched the rain and snow out the window (weather that consumed my whole stay in SD), I thought, "If someone could look into my soul, this is what they would see." I saw dark clouds above surrounded by coldness everywhere else. My heart was heavy and I silently cried as my tears matched the drops rolling down the window.
In a few minutes, my journey home started. After taking off, we pulled up into the clouds. I could feel the weight of the G-force on my body but could see nothing except white out the window. All I could think about was how I couldn't see anything, but I was sure hoping the pilot knew where he was going. Instantly, my thoughts turned to my Heavenly Father. I know I feel like I am in a fog right now, not knowing what will happen to my grandchildren and son, but Heavenly Father knows where this journey is going and He knows the way home.
As soon at that thought rushed over me, my heart was consumed, this time, not with loneliness or heartache, but with the reassurance from the Spirit that it was true. Basking in the warmth of my Heavenly Father's love, the plane soon broke through the clouds and I could see blue sky above and clouds below. It was amazing how white and pure the clouds seemed almost in direct opposition of my view from below. Another truth flew into my mind. The storms and clouds of life sometimes look dark and gloomy, but really, it depends on which side you are on. The clouds on the side near the Sun (Son) are white and pure. Trials in this life can be trials or blessings, it just depends on which view you have.

0 comments:
Post a Comment