September 9, 2007

Tender Mercy

Today at church, our stake president came and split our ward. He had our bishop and the bishop from the other ward bear their testimonies. The other bishop, whom I have never seen before, got up to speak. Right away, he began to testify of the war that is waged against us and that Satan lives and wants to have us. Then he testified of Jesus Christ and how if we turn to Him, we will have power to win the war. While he was speaking, he raised his finger several times. He was a bigger man and his suit coat was snug and for just a fleeting moment, I saw dad. The way he held his finger, his body, his face--just for a moment. The warm feeling began in my chest and spilled over into my eyes. I looked at Wyatt and he saw and felt the same thing. We were both crying like babies.

I'm sure there will be many things in my life that will come like this, to remind me of dad and I am grateful for those tender mercies of remembering.

Wyatt and I both read your post Jared and Aunt Bunny. We were deeply touched with empathy and sympathy at the same time. I too, have had moments where I push the remembering out of my mind so I won't be sad. And then the times when I openly weep and sob. I have even yelled out loud at dad in desperation asking him where he had gone. We believe in life after this, and if that be so, where is he? Why can't he lift the window of our world for just a moment?

I remember him everyday. I say his name everyday because I don't want to forget or let others forget. I look for him. I will always look for him, in my dreams, in the temple, in crowds. Is it wrong or sign seeking to want him to visit me? I guess I will just have to make-do with fleeting moments of remembering and tender mercies.

Lori

0 comments: