February 4, 2008

My Sister

Texas, June 23, 2006
Today is special. This is my sister. She is four years older than me (today is her birthday) and she is the best friend I have in the whole world. My sister is probably the most influential person in my life. My sister and I have been through a lot together. We went through young motherhood together, sharing stories and coloring Family Home Evening packets. We compared recipes and discipline tactics. We shared sharing time and visiting teaching ideas. Then as time went on, I had the rare opportunity to live in the same town she lived in. We would exercise around the park with our babies in tow. Then when our babies went to kindergarten, we took on the task of going to nursing school together. I have told her this 1,000 times but if it wasn't for her, I never would have finished. She had a way of keeping my eye on the goal. She helped me study (when I wouldn't have by myself) and then stood back when I got the best grade. She never complained or showed any jealousy.
I was with her when she met her future husband for the first time. I was with her when she had her first baby. I was with her when she had her first miscarriage. I was with her when she got the news that she had cancer. I've heard her sobbing when she worried about her son. I stood beside her watching our father die. I've seen her work. I've seen her give service. I've seen her give all.
She is an incredible woman and someone that I can honestly say that I wish I was more like. I love her for loving me.