September 12, 2008

My "Title of Liberty"

One of the greatest heroes in the Book of Mormon, in my opinion, is Captain Moroni. Not only for his stratagem, his honesty, and his compassion, but mostly for his love of country. Moroni loved his country, his liberty, his freedom, and his peace and he was willing to do all he could to keep it. He bowed himself to the earth and prayed unto his God for the blessings of liberty to rest upon his country. Mormon himself said, "If all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever."
I hadn't said the pledge since a high school basketball game until....I started working in the public school system. I remember the first time, as an adult, that I placed my hand over my heart and said the words to the pledge and got to the words, "One nation, under God," I choked up. Tears rushed to the surface and my heart was full because I knew that Heavenly Father watches over this country. I love my country. I am proud of the men and women who have sacrificed all to fight for my liberty. I thank my son for being brave enough to fight for my liberty.
"And he fastened it upon the end of a pole..." We were able to get over to the Healing Fields in Tempe to look at the flags there that represent all those killed during the September 11th attacks. I stood there in the middle of the field, surrounded by my title of liberty, my heart was full. Tears glistened as I saw the yellow ribbons. Yellow ribbons are a symbol of remembrance of men and women who serve in places far from home. They have been kept especially by wives, mothers and sisters in times of war in memory of their soldier boys abroad. They are powerful symbols of the ties that bind. My soldier boy is far from home and I am waiting for him to return.

0 comments: