October 26, 2008

Epiphany of Sorts


I have a sister-in-law who inspires me. She probably doesn't know it, because we don't talk all that often, but I quietly stand back and watch and learn. She is a beautiful example of what a true mother and wife is. For years, I have watched her love her husband, never judging just loving, standing beside, and supporting. As far as I know, she has never said anything negative about him. Hers is the kind of love story I want.

I find myself finding fault with my husband and letting him know it. I'm sure I have hurt him more than I know.

When I was a child, we had the record for "My Turn on Earth" and we listened to it so much that I still know most of the words from the songs. The words that came to my mind today was "I'm the one who writes my own story, I decide the person I'll be, what goes in the plot and what will not, is simply left up to me." There it was, my epiphany. I'm the one who can decide what kind of love story I have. I can make it as romantic and tender as I want. Not a story of a husband and wife only, but also of a tender mother to her children. I am the author.

Then I went to church. The lesson was on supporting our husbands as priesthood holders. The teacher said something that hit me like wave of emotions and I know it was the Spirit speaking to my soul. She paraphrased the lesson from President Eyring: "As your husbands try to keep their covenants, the Savior has promised His personal help. He has said that as they go forward in honoring the priesthood: 'There I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." Then she said, "Sisters, we are the Savior's angels. We are to be there to bear up our husbands and sons."

The wave of emotion came over me and sitting there I sobbed. I have been anything but an angel and done nothing to bear my husband up.

And so today, I will begin my own love story. It will be a story of a devoted wife who adores her husband and children. A woman who selflessly gives to all those around her. Someone who finds the good in every moment. Who enjoys her life and sees the growth from her trials. A wife who builds her husband up and stands beside him, walking through this life into the eternities. And as Parley P. Pratt said, "...that the wife of my bosom was an...eternal companion; a kind ministering angel, given to me as a comfort, and a crown of glory for ever and ever."

To be continued....

4 comments:

Rachel said...

First of all I LOVE the picture of you and wyatt. Who took it? It really is incredible. You guys don't look older at all!
I just wanted to say when I read this post. I had some of the same feelings that you have had. Sometimes I think I wish my marriage were like so and so. But I was also struck because really Lori....How much better can your story get? You married your high school sweetheart and it has worked out! There aren't many people that can say that.
I guess I do realize that I do write my own love story...but the fact is I have let it get so bogged down with crap that sometimes it is really hard for me to let go of all of it and enjoy what I do have. I focus more on the faults than the good. So I needed to hear this because it is something that I struggle with all the time. If you master the art give me ideas...because I am constantly working on this! Thanks for sharing the post!

Lori Ashton said...

I actually took the picture. Wyatt was such a good sport for it as I caught him in his G's. It is true, I married my high school sweetheart, what could be more romantic than that, except that we basically raised each other so I think we have a different take on things. But I do adore him. I can tell you one thing though, it takes a lot of practice to become a good author!!

Rachel said...

See I find it incredibly romantic that you guys are high school sweethearts. Oh to think back at the fun and emotions that you had back then. Those things matter. I think my problem is the huge differances. I don't know what you meant about your different take on things but mine start from being from a small town vs city, parenting, finances etc.

I love that you took the picture! I don't know how you didnt smile....I would be chuckling inside knowing that it is going to take. You are a talented writer and photographer!

Jeanette said...

I LOVE this post! I love the idea that we write our own stories and that it is ultimately up to us to decide who we want to be. I also love all of the pictures on your blog. You are so talented.