January 25, 2009

The Way

We had a very emotional Relief Society meeting today. The lesson was from Elder Lawrence E. Corbridge Of the Seventy's Conference Talk entitled The Way. The sister that was giving the lesson is very eloquent with speaking and her message was obviously coupled with the Spirit. She testified of the Savior and gave the meat of the lesson and then with about 8 minutes of the class left to spare, she paused and said, "Sisters, I have felt an overwhelming feeling all day that I should turn the time over to you to bear your testimonies of the Savior. But before I do that, I want to bear my testimony of the Savior."

She then proceeded to bear the most beautiful testimony about her life and how she has come leaps and bounds from where she started in this life, a little ratty, dirty-haired girl sleeping in a rat infested home and bed. Tears ran freely as she shared how her burdens have been made light through turning to the Savior. She stated that she pretty much messed up a lot of things in her life, but that in turning to the Savior, she was able to become a completely different person. There was no mistake that the power of the Holy Ghost permeated that room. I haven't felt it that strong in a long time. She then turned the time over to us.

A sister immediately popped up. She explained that she wasn't a member of our church (she is from North Carolina) but that she was lead to a sister in our ward and now is temporarily living in her home. She continued on about how she had been involved in drugs in her life and had pretty much messed up her life....

The thought came to my mind, "Oh no, here we go with a confess-o-mony." No sooner had I thought that, than the Spirit came to my mind (I always realize it is the Spirit when it is a clear and concise statement with words that I don't use myself), "She feels so loved here that she can share her deepest self." My eyes filled with tears and spilt down.

She then stated that she didn't know why she was telling us all of that except that she felt so loved here that she just had to get up and share. She sat down.

Immediately, the bishop's wife stood up and stated, "Sister, what you have felt here today, that feeling inside your heart, is the Spirit. It is testifying to you that what you have heard here today is true. That the only way is through the Savior and this is His true church." She continued on and related experiences in her life when she turned to Him and it help her through.

There was not a dry eye in the room. Every person there cannot doubt that they felt the Spirit whether or not they knew what it was.

I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father and a kind and gentle Older Brother, who love me enough to allow me to feel those things and be a witness to them.

2 comments:

Michelle Ashton said...

What a great post. I have had quite an emotional week myself. Starting with the Heap funeral on Thursday, then with Nannette's funeral Saturday and then today we had a fantastic sacrament meeting. We had 2 youth speakers, then heard from Orinda Herring. Had a beautiful song sung by Kyle Whal's wife... "I need the every hour"... It was a beautiful version I had never heard before. But Mimi kept looking up at me and saying..."Pretty". After her song we heard from Hubert Morris. What a fantastic job he did. The spirit there was so strong. Thanks so much for sharing this.. What a nice way to end the day.

d.jo said...

Lori, what a great story. I love it when the Spirit tells you something, and then reconfirms it by what you hear. I love it when that happens, because I know I'm on the right track. Especially when the thoughts or impressions I've had are born in testimony by another or in a talk or conference. What a great opportunity for that sister to visit your ward and feel the love of God in her life that day.