There is nothing worse than seeing the man that you love in pain. It started this morning at about 4 a.m. Wyatt had been having severe abdominal pain. I have NEVER seen him in that much pain in my life. At first, my nursing kicked in and I asked him all kinds of questions, pain level, duration, etc., then we decided it sounded like kidney stones.
The pain would wax and wane and when it would wax, he hurt so much that he would vomit. I couldn't bear it anymore. I just started crying and I watched the strong, man of my life, my protector hunched over and writhing in pain, vomiting. All my nursing training went out the door and I could do nothing but cry. He kept telling me, "Be strong. I need you to be strong for me." I was so pathetic.
He finally relented to me taking him to the ER at about 11 a.m. We went to the newer Gilbert Hospital, which boasts "31 minutes from Door-to-Doc." I swear, I will never go to another ER. We got right in, they gave him medications, whisked him off to CT, returned and doc came in and disclosed the findings, wrote us prescriptions and off we went. We were there for a total of about 2 1/2 hours. We also had a room to ourselves and a TV. As soon as they gave Wyatt IV pain meds, he was snoring and sleeping like a baby. He was so exhausted.
When he came in, he was having a pain level of 3 (it was waning at that time) and his blood pressure was 150/95. He spent most of the morning at home with a pain level of 10. I can't imagine what his pressure was doing then.
They confirmed what we thought and wrote him prescriptions for antibiotics and pain meds and gave us instructions to just keep hydrated and it will just have to pass. He is now at home and sleeping soundly.
I told Wyatt that I hope he dies after me because I can't bear to take care of him in pain or see him suffer. It was an awful morning.
February 1, 2009
Sunday in the ER
Posted by Lori Ashton at 2:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Geez-that's awful. I hope he hangs in there. I sure am grateful that the attack happened when he was with you-not on his trip with Rhett.
PS:
It was great having Wyatt and Rhett show up on Friday. Wish you would all do it sometime. . .
Poor thing... I am sooo glad it didn't happen while he was at my house. We were glad to have them, but I sure wouldn't have known what to do.
Oh ow! Dang! I hope it passes soon for him, sounds horrible. My bro-in-law had that happen when they were up at my cabin and had to make the run to the Summit County ER 45 minutes away at 2 a.m. I know he was sure happy when that was over!
That ER Is sure pretty though! Always nice to have good service and especially when one is in serious pain! Yipes. Hang in there both of you! *hugs*
Post a Comment