March 5, 2009

Tender Mercy

Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles defined tender mercies as such: I have come to better understand that the Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ. Truly, the Lord suits “his mercies according to the conditions of the children of men” (D&C 46:15).
We acknowledge a tender mercy that happened to us today.

The girls had an early morning rehearsal for band this morning. They were to be at their school a little before 7 a.m. We had to take Rhett to work so we kind of had to go the long way. We left with plenty of time. There are only two ways of getting to school after dropping Rhett off. I knew that one way had about a 15 minute construction delay. So we chose the other route.

After about three miles into the alternate route, we noticed police lights. There had been some kind of accident. We pulled up to talk to the officer who had his car blocking the road. He said that we were welcome to wait as it would take about 10 to 15 minutes to clean up and tow away the accident. We decided to head back the way we came and try our luck with the construction. When we finally got through the construction, it was 7:05. There was no way we were going to make it. We just decided to explain to the teacher and let the chips fall where they may. We had no other choice.

It wasn't until I dropped the girls off in the little cul de sac where they walk a little ways, that I realized the tender mercy. A terrible fatal roll over had happened sometime in the night right next to where the girls walk to school. The police didn't get a call about it until after 7 a.m. Had I been on time taking the girls to practice, they would have been the ones to discover the body lying on the ground next to the crashed up truck.

I usually drop them off and drive away. I just don't know what they would have done or how it would have affected them had they found the accident without anyone around. Although I did cuss the first accident we came upon and subsequently the construction, I now feel so blessed that Heavenly Father watches out for us every day.

0 comments: