April 20, 2008

Being the Light of the Home

We had a wonderful lesson in Relief Society today. It was about the Holy Ghost and our responsibilities as mother to provide a home where the Spirit can dwell. Our teacher likened it unto a lamp. She brought a lamp and put it up on the desk. She said that Heavenly Father is ready and willing to talk with us and help us. The Holy Ghost is the cord and plug that connects us to our Heavenly Father. Yesterday at Cooper's baptism a member of the bishopric told Cooper to hand him one of his presents. Cooper held out the present but the bishopric member only stood there. Cooper was embarrassed when the brother told him to give him the present. Cooper again presented the gift but the brother just stood there. He likened it unto ourselves being offered the gift of the Holy Ghost but that it is ultimately up to us to take it. So back to our lesson. Our teacher said that the plug of the lamp is like the Holy Ghost and the electricity, or the outlet is like Heavenly Father. We have to "plug in" to the Holy Ghost to be able to turn our light on. She also said that we, as mothers, are the light of our homes. It is up to us to create an environment to foster the companionship of the Holy Ghost in our homes.

I have thought about that a lot. I have so much to work on. So many things that I want to do better. I want to be the beacon that my children look to for strength. I want to have them feel the Spirit and to know what it feels like to hear him and obey his promptings.

Our teacher also shared with us something that she learned a long time ago that made a huge impact in her life. She was speaking about how Joseph Smith was not just a scripture reader but that he studied the scriptures, likened them unto himself, and then acted upon them in faith. When he read the scripture in James about lacking wisdom, he read it, applied it to himself, and then acted upon it by going into the woods to pray. He did the same thing when he translated the plates regarding baptism. He read it, wondered if he needed to be baptized, and then went to find out for himself.

I need to plug in my lamp and turn it on more so that my children can see my light. She also posed the question about what wattage of bulb we were. I joked to the sister sitting next to me that I was a "black light." I hope not. I hope I am at least a 20 watter!! I am going to try harder. I am going to study and feast upon the scriptures and make my home a heaven on earth so that my children will know and have spiritual experiences.

Oh, that reminds me...Kelli was asked today by a member of our stake presidency to speak in Stake Conference next week. She is so stressed!!! But I know she will do a great job. She is the Laurel president and she sure has such a sweet, tender heart. She has come a long way in the last few years and I look to her for strength and encouragement. She is a wonderful girl and I am so lucky to be her mom.

0 comments: