
If I’ve shared this experience or if you’ve heard it already, please appease me as I share this incident that is dear to my heart.
Today in our Sunday School class we studied Alma Chapter 5. Alma speaks directly to us in this chapter and asks if we’ve felt these feelings in our lives. Our instructor had the class list anybody we know in the scriptures that experienced a change of heart. The list was quite long and included the great heart changes like Alma the younger, the Sons of Mosiah, David, Paul, etc. Our instructor told us that “if these great men could change their lives, then, not only ‘can’ we but we should make this change in our hearts” He challenged us with many different things including reading our scriptures every day and fasting with purpose, etc. A change of heart is one of the easiest changes to think of but one of the hardest to put into effect. During the discussion my mind flashed back to the occasion of which I have alluded.
I’m sure the fact today is father’s day really causes the reflection on this moment to be more poignant. It was about two years ago and your parents were down to the valley with some follow up to your Dad’s surgery. Your mom had parked that old Buick directly behind our driveway on the opposite side of the street and while backing out to leave for work early the next morning I backed our truck into the drivers door of that old car. I was very heartbroken when I moved the truck back and saw the extent of the damage to the Buick. I hurried in the house somewhat panicked and exclaimed to Lori what I’d done. I walked down the hall to face your parents and told them the news. Dad, with all the weight of the cancer and treatments on his mind looked very depressed although he never expressed it verbally. We all went out and looked at the damage. Dad said, “Wyatt, if you’ll find a used door and replace it that’ll be fine” I apologized profusely and left for work. All I could think of was what a loser your parents must think I was. I called around that day and located a used door but was taken aback when I found out that your parents had gone out and purchased a new car and traded in that old Buick. I spoke to them after they purchased the car and apologized again.
Over the next few weeks I milled over in my mind how I could repay for the accident I had caused. Money was very tight and I couldn’t get my mind around how I would come up with enough cash to offset the accident. The depression surrounding the situation was pretty strong one morning before we went to church when the phone rang and Lori said it was your dad and he wanted to talk to me. My heart skipped as I answered. Through the line I heard him sobbing and he began to explain. Tears welled in my eyes as he spoke. “Wyatt, I want you to know something about this new car we purchased. I want to tell you not to worry any more about backing into our old car, because if that had not happened I would never have purchased this new car. I have realized that our old car was very worn out and was starting to break down on a regular basis, and I was thinking about what would’ve happened if we had been traveling back and forth to Mesa and we would have broken down….” He paused to regain his composure and then began again. “…or worse yet, if this cancer takes me…..” he groaned. “what would Mom do if she broke down in that old thing?”. A long silence followed as one young father listened in complete amazement to a wise father teaching about real charity and a real change of heart.
In that moment, I grew ten years in wisdom, and gained a new appreciation of looking at even the hardest situations through spiritual glasses.
We were all blessed to be so close to such a great man and I am thankful, especially today, that I had an opportunity to be as close as I was and to learn all I have from him. It seems that all that came in contact with him were change for the better. There are a lot of people I strive to be like in my life and he holds a very high spot on that list.
Happy fathers day to all, especially you DAD!
June 15, 2008
From Wyatt
Posted by Lori Ashton at 7:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment