June 7, 2011

{A Day in the Life of a Kidney Donor} Miracles Happen

Before I left town to come to Utah to begin the donation process, the kidney donation coordinator called me to let me know that from my initial blood work they calculated my GFR to be 72.  That just means that my own kidneys are not functioning at an acceptable limit.  The coordinator told me that kidney donors have to have a GFR of 80 or greater in order to donate. 

I have put this whole matter into Heavenly Father's hands, promising Him that I would be the tool by which He could accomplish His designs and if that design was for my mom to have a kidney, then I would step up and not doubt.

I am sorry to say that a huge relief came over me when I finally got to Utah and we met with the coordinator and I heard in person, that my kidneys are not functioning adequately enough to be a donor.  He said that he has never, in his career, seen a GFR jump the 8 notches that we need to be a donor, but he was willing to repeat the test.  I gave the blood needed to run the test again and with full confidence and relief in the medical field, went home relieved that I was not to be the donor.  A simple blood test took the decision away from me. 

I went home that night and knelt down thanking my Heavenly Father for taking this burden from me and grateful that His will was done.  I went to bed that night and slept better than I had for months. 

I sometimes think Heavenly Father tests us with small things as well as big things.  I missed a call today and as I listened to the message, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  I drove 30 miles north to the transplant center and demanded to speak with the coordinator.  He came out and showed me with labs in hand that my GFR went from 72 to 89.  He continued to say that he had never seen this happen before but was ready to go forward with the donation process. 

After 10 vials of blood taken and a large jug for me to pee in for the next 24 hours, I left the hospital in disbelief.  Miracles do happen today.  Whether they are small or large, they happen.  Whether they are tender mercies or just flat out miracles, they happen.  Heavenly Father is in charge and with a willing heart, I got in the car and called my mom to let her know she was going to get her kidney after all.

3 comments:

Marcie Ashton said...

Wow! That is amazing. Is the surgery scheduled? Or at least what sort of time frame are you expecting? My prayers are with you and your mom.

Michelle Ashton said...

Awesome!! What an amazing blessing. Keep us posted when the surgery is. You are both in my prayers.

Carol said...

The circumstances are truly miraculous and amazing....and you are amazing, too. We'll be praying that all goes well for you and for your mom!